The purpose of the CIF Coaching Education Program is to enhance the experience of student-athletes by assuring that their coaches meet a minimum level of professional training. The program provides strong, pragmatic and comprehensive instruction for coaches of interscholastic athletics in California that is consistent with the highest national standards as set by the legislature, state Department of Education, California Interscholastic Federation and National Federation of State High School Associations.
The mandatory requirements for coaching high school sports in California are:
1. A General Coaching Education Course. The most commonly utilized courses are:
- The Fundamentals of Coaching course through the NFHS https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61001
2. A Sports Specific Concussions Course.
- Concussion in Sports offered through NFHS: https://nfhslearn.com/courses/38000
- NFHS offers a free course at: http://nfhslearn.com/courses/61032/sudden-cardiac-arrest
4. First Aid and CPR Certification.
Please consult school district or athletic department for this requirement.
The CIF recommends you consult the school district you currently work for or plan to work for prior to selecting or taking any certification courses as the district may have more specific and/or additional requirements (finger printing, TB tests, etc.).