We sat down with our September Coach of the Month, Jenny Crane, and asked her 8 questions about herself! Here they are:
- How did you decide to go to college at Cal? CAL started recruiting me to play field hockey for them my junior year of high school. While I also went on recruiting visits to a couple of other schools, CAL stood out to me because of its reputation as a top ranking public school in the nation, its school pride, and the location; CAL is a beautiful school and is only a 45 minute-1 hr drive from where my parents live, so it was just far away enough to feel independent, but close enough to make the drive home on a weekend if a home-cooked meal was desired.
- What’s your favorite thing to do outside of work/practice? I like to spend time with my family. My parents, twin sister, older brother, and their families (I have 3 nephews and a niece) are all local, so it’s important for me to see them at least once a week. When I’m not spending time with my family, I enjoy hanging out with friends (game nights, hiking, brunch, BBQ, concerts, sporting events), cooking, reading, and learning new things (I taught myself how to knit last spring- a skill I don’t see myself using ever again, but you never know-, learned how to juggle this summer, and I am currently learning about the 45 US Presidents).
- Who’s the coolest person you’ve ever gotten to meet? The coolest person I ever got to meet is Natalie Coughlin. I met her while I was a student at CAL. She was a CAL Alum at the time and also an Olympic swimmer.
- Who is your favorite athlete? Joe Pavelski.
- What’s your dream job? My dream job would be a national geographic photographer– I love photography, being outdoors, and traveling!
- What’s one thing most people don’t know about you? Something most people don’t know about me is that my left ankle is titanium.
- What’s your favorite thing about coaching at Paly? My favorite thing about coaching at Paly is being part of the school culture in a different capacity than just a teacher. I have enjoyed getting to know Paly Athletics staff and seeing our first year team grow not only in skill and athleticism, but together as a team.
- If you could interview one person, who would you choose? If I could interview one person, it would be Dwight Schrute.